Saturday, March 15, 2008

Sharing dreams

The older I get, which really feels odd rolling off the tongue, the more I value the people who offer meaningful gestures that let you trust they believe in your dreams.

One expects their parents (I wish everone had that kind of parent) to have a reasonable amount of encouragement to offer their child's dream - but the day one realizes their parents, and others, really does believe in that dream with you - that's a great day.
I've been taking a few steps toward one of my dreams - perhaps the only or most real dream I have. Every time I have a disconcerting moment - or I totter a little bit - someone this week has been there say "you can do it!" Kind of like Lisa's parrot in Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sadaris. But more real - because it hasn't been just with words, it has been with gestures. Like a fellow student who slipped a note under my door with a check in it, to help me with some logistics, or a people from whom I expected skepticism saying, "I want to join you." It felt like someone sent me a bouquet of gestures that say, "Michael, it will be hard, but ever petal from this bouquet is the world is saying 'YES'!".
I hope that I can be a rose petal yes to another persons dream in their much needed flower delivery. Sometimes it is obvious, but often, the hidden frustrations are what people most need help with. We really have to watch for the moments in others' lives when they need a little bouquet of support.

No comments: