Friday, March 14, 2008

Archbishop murdered:

Our war in Iraq has created a lot of victims. All war does. My prayers go up for Chaldean Catholic Archbishop Paul Faraj Rahho's and two of his companions. He was ambushed only a few weeks ago. I am so sorry for my sisters and brothers in Iraq, whatever faith they may profess, for the horrors of war they see - it is so difficult to imagine, here in comfortable US. My heart also goes out to the soldiers - I know that they, too, suffer things we cannot imagine.

Before he died, did he pray for those who were killing him? Was he afraid? Was he confident? Did he sense Christ present with him? I am not suggesting unreasonable expectations for him, but just reflecting more on what I would do - what would I think, or do, or be in this situation?

As Christians prepare for Palm Sunday and Holy Week in the Western Christian churches, I think it is important to reflect on the lives of the martyrs of the faith - those who, unlike most US Christians, really do put their life in harm's way, and not by going out on impossible missions, but by their daily living - driving to work.

In the midst of Lent, we remain a resurrection people, and so can pray for God's mercy with hope and continue our journey in confidence that God's power to make all things new is infinitely more creative than the destructive forces we face in our own lives.

No comments: